A couple of weeks ago Apple released their own battery cases for the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR.
I have been testing this thing out and I absolutely love it. I originally wrote a review for the iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case and my thoughts mainly remain the same.
A couple of things on this one:
- It is heavy. These iPhones are already pretty heavy. Beware of that. Especially if you have the iPhone XS Max or XR, this case is going to add some weight to it.
- The price is no fun. It is $129. Of course, I would rather it be cheaper but when mophie is charging $119 for their new Juice Pack Access that only gives you 35%-40% extra charge, I feel like $129 is right where it is supposed to be.
- You should get 80%-85% extra battery with Apple’s Smart Battery Case for the iPhone XS. As a side note, this case has been confirmed to work with the iPhone X.
- This case works with lightning and Qi wireless charging. So no need for any extra cables.
- It is integrated great with iOS. When you put the case on the charger it tells you the charge of the case and your phone. Also, you can get those charge percentages when you swipe over to your widget screen.
- A couple of users have mentioned on twitter that their battery health dropped since using the case. I thought this coincidence and the health just dropped around the same time as using the case. Two weeks in, my battery health dropped from 100% to 95%. I am going to keep a close eye on this to see if there is any significant damage. Some of these users have mentioned that their battery health went back up to 100% after a couple of days.
Overall, these cases are exactly what I have been wanting from Apple. To never have to worry about battery, is a great feeling. For some people, who are around chargers all day, you won’t gain much value from this. But if you are always on the go or travel a lot, this case is a no brainer!
Disclaimer – Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will make a commission if you decide to purchase after clicking the link.
As always, thanks for stopping by!